Friday, April 03, 2009

Improvising
My favorite way of creating art work is improvising with pre-fused fabric shapes. When I make a quilt, I keep the cut-aways and play with the left overs. There are times when I resurface after working in this manner and realize hours have passed.

Here is the start of a bird quilt. As you can see I'm not very neat when it comes to my work space. But for me, it's better if things are not too organized. That way I can invent new designs on the spot and not fuss over keeping things tidy.

5 comments:

Candied Fabrics said...

My work area looks very similar - except for the cute chicken - that's all you! ;-)

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

Me too.
I thought everyone worked like this!
Good cooks aren't neat and great quilters aren't necessarily neat.
K

Melody said...

Nice chick. I am trying to imagine where this table is set up. Are there changes in the old dye room too as well as your new studio?

Beena said...

This is a great idea. I never would have thought to save those odd shaped fusible pieces after cutting to reuse on another project! I usually only save the bigger leftovers that I can trace something else onto.

Love the chick!

donaleen said...

Did you ever consider selling some of your leftovers as inspiration for newbies? I wish I had a pile of leftovers to play with.