Thursday, October 22, 2009


Stitching Down the House
If you are a stitch enthusiast like me, you'll enjoy adding hand embroidery stitches to your quilt tops. It makes such a huge difference in the appearance of the quilt.

Here we have a detail shot of a new quilt called Housing Department (you can get the pattern and fabric on the Artfabrik pattern page). After steam setting the fused quilt top to the batt, I begin stitching just through the batting and top layers. I'm using various colorways of Size 8 thread and adding running, seed, straight, cross, blanket, and lazy daisy stitches. French knots make up the dotty textures and hits of color. The sun is a Size 3 thread couched down with 8 in a spiral fashion. 

  It was so much fun stitching this quilt! I must do more.

2 comments:

Diane J. Evans said...

It's amazing to me what a difference the added stitching makes -- I love your choice of colors and stitches. What fun!

Diane

Jane Jeffress Thomas said...

I just looked at the patterns and love the spring leaves because they remind me of exotic fish spiraling upwards in a tank or in the sea. Love your work and site. I don't know how I got here, but I believe I will join your RSS feed.

Jane in Louisiana