Saturday, November 07, 2009


Blue Rake
Woodcut Quilts
Like Farm (the quilt in my previous post) Blue Rake is made in a woodcut style. I begin with a large piece of black fabric and add fused fabric elements to the surface. By leaving a small gap between the fabric elements a black line will outline each element. It gives the illusion of a woodcut or cartoon-like feel.

I love the graphic quality of woodcuts and have quite a collection of books illustrated in that style. You can also build your fused quilt on another color than black. So far I've used yellow, blue and red. Yellow is my favorite. It has a certain glow about it and makes me feel sunny all over.

6 comments:

Ruth Anne Olson said...

I just love this woodcut look. If I even get some time to spend in my studio, I think I'll play with this idea--if you don't mind.

Kerri said...

I really love this! It has a really complex look. I so love the way you put your colors together, too.

Diane J. Evans said...

Wasn't "Blue Rake" a prize winner in a show, Laura? I really love the look -- the idea of outlining in black really speaks to my love of contrasts. Thank you for sharing this idea!

Diane

Susan Turney said...

Love this!!! I love the "woodcut" look but also the colors! Beautiful!

Diane said...

So for the grass, did you cut a bunch of little grass blades or is that the way the fabric looked as a whole. It looks like you cut it. I have never heard the term woodcut, but I like it a lot. Now I have a name for it.

Laura Wasilowski said...

Diane,
The grass is one large piece of green with little snips cut from it with sharp scissors. It looks sort of like lace after its all cut. Then you drop it onto the black fabric and the black forms the blades of grass.