Thursday, December 03, 2009



Dyeing Lifting
Every wonder how I got those fashionable weight-lifter biceps? It's from hefting buckets of water. My hand-dyed thread has to be washed out by my little hands to keep it from tangling. So I fill bucket after bucket with the water that is flushed from the washer when I do my laundry. Then I wash and wash and wash the thread. With any luck I'll spill lots of water on the floor, cause I like that squeaky sound my shoes make.
The first wave of  give-away socks are dyed and in the mail to those celebrating the Festival of Socks this December. Now I intend to dye all the thread I need for Spring. You could say I'm dyeing before my time.

4 comments:

Carmen Rose said...

LOL! Looks like fun, I'm itchin to get back into fabrics, it's that time of year but I need to finish the work in my glass studio first. Happy dying!

Lisa said...

Wait - did you say you recycle the water that comes out of your washing machine? How clever! How much water do I waste from my washing machine with every load I do? I'm curious to know how many times you have to switch up the buckets during a load.

Frieda said...

Yummy, is that soup, oh no thread, well just as yummy.

Laura Wasilowski said...

Hi Lisa,
Yes, I use the washing machine water and empty it into my thread buckets. Some intense colorways take 20 buckets of water. That's why I have arms of steel!