Thursday, December 10, 2009



Fast Friends
In reviewing my 2009 travels, I see that I  taught for 28 different quilt groups throughout the world. That's a lot of new adventures and best of all, new friends. Thank you to everyone who invited me to visit them this year. It was great fun!
The best part of teaching is seeing art work being created right before your eyes. Students bloom. A light bulb flashes and they realize that art making can be fun, easy, and trigger even more possibilities. Here's an example of a wonderful quilt by Jan Hutchison, one of my students from Witchita. Thanks Jan for sharing it with me. It's called Lettuce, Turnip, and Pea.

5 comments:

Jackie said...

How fun to travel to so many different places and meet people who have the same interests as you. Although, I can imagine it can get tiring at times.

Deborah Boschert said...

You've been spreading inspiration all over the country. Great job. Love that quilt -- I think it should be called "Let Us Turn Up Peace."

Diane J. Evans said...

How lucky we were to have had you travel to the great state of New York this summer! BTW, did Jan intend for that title to be a double entendre?! It's a great piece with a great name!

Diane

Frieda said...

Do you teach your students how to name their quilts as well?

Li'l Ned said...

'Lettuce, Turnip and Pea' is an old joke/saying in our family of gardeners. Jan is my sister and I am now the proud owner of this beautiful quilt, which is even more beautiful in person than in the photo. Years ago, in one of my first gardens, I planted lettuce, turnips and peas all close together, in tribute to this expression. The lettuce got eaten by gophers, the turnips had worms and the peas never germinated because I planted the seeds too deep. But the words lived on, and now exist in this most gorgeous wall garden. Thanks, Jan, and thanks , Laura!