Monday, January 25, 2010


Pretty Planet #3
The hand stitching on Pretty Planet went really fast and was so much fun! The running stitch makes up the fields. Straight stitches are really useful for grass, window frames, and adding stripes to the tree trunks. Bead-like French knots decorate the trees and house. All easy stitches done with Size 8 threads.

After I wrapping the quilt top around the Timtex and adding a back, I machine stitched the blue background fabric. Now all I need is a hanging loop like this one and its ready to go!


10 comments:

Jackie said...

Love how this one turned out!! By the way, I am enjoying watching you on Quilting Arts. Thanks for showing your wonderful techniques.

Julie Bagamary said...

Great piece and thanks for the tips.

Lisa said...

I love the detail on this piece and that you didn't machine quilt it all over.

Jane Moxey said...

Gorgeous! Smashing! Love the circular thing -- can't wait to see more in the series!

judy coates perez said...

may I ask the finished size of this lovely piece Miss Laura? The timtex is the perfect resolution to the hanging issues of a circular piece.

AllieKatMom said...

I love this, you are so creative! I hope one day I will be as creative as you are.

Laura Wasilowski said...

Hi Judy,
Thanks for asking about the quilt size. The size of this quilt is about 11" across. I usually put Timtex in my small quilts cause I like how it holds the quilt flat. But if you are machine stitching a quilt with Timtex in it you are limited to twice the size of the machine's bed. Any larger and the quilt will curl when you stitch it.

Diane J. Evans said...

This turned out wonderfully, Laura -- love the shape!

Diane

margaret said...

This has a "Wanda Gag meets Clarice Cliff" feel to it...

Vivien said...

Do you always do your embroidery without the backing of the piece?