Thursday, January 21, 2010

Thread-u-cation Thursday: French Knots


Thread-u-cation Thursday- French Knots
Ah the French! Creators of exotic and tasty things like French fries, French toast, and of course the French knot. A French knot sits on the surface of fabric like a fly on your nose. And just like a fly, it demands attention! 
Here's how I make my French knots: Grasp the thread in your left hand and hold it parallel to the fabric. Wind the thread clockwise around the horizontal needle 3 times.


Holding the wound thread in place, scoot the tip of the needle just next to where the thread initially emerged from the fabric. (Don't pull the thread too tight around the needle.) Poke the needle into the fabric and slowly draw the thread through the knot to the back.


The trick here is to continue to gently grip the thread in your left hand so the thread doesn't tangle as its drawn through the knot.


Here's a tip: if the thread slips off the needle before you can insert it into the fabric: use the fingernail on your right hand to hold the wound thread into place.

French knots are the perfect stitch for adding a hit of color, to build texture, or to add an accent mark you can not make with fabric. Use them for flowers, doorknobs, or those creepy eyes on a fly!

7 comments:

Jackie said...

French knots are a wonderful way to add color and texture to a piece. Thanks for the tutorial.

Amy said...

I am pretty adept at most embroidery stitches, but for some reason the French knot escapes me. I usually opt for the colonial knot, which is a bit bigger and has a dimple in the center. Thank you for the tutorial, I will have to give it a try.

Frieda said...

And did you mention the french kiss?

Robin said...

Excellent instructions and exactly how I make mine.

Lisa said...

Nicely illustrated. I'm working on figuring out where to include embroidery on some of my wall quilts and it's always nice to see what you do with yours.

Diana Ramirez said...

am embarrassed to say that I can never do a French knot. I look forward to trying again using your instructions.

Diane J. Evans said...

Great tips, Laura -- I've realized that I must be making Italian knots -- I wind my thread the other way. This looks easier!

Diane