Thursday, February 11, 2010

Thread-u-cation Thursday: Scattered Seed Stitch


Thread-u-cation Thursdays- Scattered Seed Stitch
The Scattered Seed Stitch is my version of the traditional seed stitch (where sets of short parallel stitches travel across the fabric). Being an undisciplined stitcher, I just throw individual stitches all over the place. It's more akin to the Straight Stitch (see Feb. 4 post) but I like the name, "Scattered Seed Stitch".

I use it a lot as a texture stitch for filling in larger areas. The most difficult part of making the Scattered Seed Stitch is keeping it random. Try not to have the stitches form a pattern by repeating stitch angles near each other. Think of the stitch angles in terms of an hour hand on a clock. This gives you 6 different directions to make stitches. I make my stitches about 1/4 - 1/2 inch long and try not to drive myself crazy watching the clock.


8 comments:

Lisa said...

I have forgotten - do you do these stitches before or after quilting? My brain is saying after but I can't recall what I've seen you do on QATV.

Musicmaker said...

randomness is always a problem, but not so much for people whose thoughts are barely connected LOL

Laura Wasilowski said...

Hi Lisa,
I'm stitching just through the top and batting layers. Machine stitching is done after all the hand stitching is complete.
Thanks for asking!
Laura

Lois Jarvis said...

I learned this stitch years ago as the rice stitch, so named because it looks like rice was dropped on the quilt.

norma said...

I have a friend who uses this stitch all the time and it looks great. I call it "chicken scratching", much to her annoyance.

Frieda said...

It's wonderful.

Diana Ramirez said...

I love seed stitches. But I always did them last. Hmmm, next project I'll follow the "Wasilowski Way" for comparison. Thanks for your Thursday "Thread-u-cation".

Diane J. Evans said...

Another great stitch, Laura -- gotta try this one, too!

Diane