Sunday, March 21, 2010


Fabric Dyeing Sources
People often ask about the fabric used in my art work. Do I make it? Yes, every little yard is dyed with Procion MX fiber reactive dyes. It's good for cotton, linen, viscous rayon, and silk. Sources for the dye powder are Pro Chemical and Dye (MA) and Dharma Trading (CA). Both have excellent support systems with advice for new dyers and us old dyers too.

The fabric used for the Artfabrik site is called 400M and is available from Test Fabric in West Pittiston, PA. It is prepared for dyeing and I've never had a bad batch in the 20 years I've been ordering it. For those of you who would like a good book on basic dyeing, try Ann Johnston's Color By Accident. Her book leads you through the process and gives you good results. Happy dyeing!

2 comments:

lyric said...

Your pictures are beautiful. And I feel like sunshine whenever I think of you and your artwork - hence - the sunshine award is yours today!
http://lyrickinard.blogspot.com/2010/03/sunshine-award.html

Diane J. Evans said...

Thanks so much for the tip on fabric -- I'm assuming it's good for painting as well. I plan to order some!

Diane