Thursday, March 04, 2010

Thread-u-cation Thursday: Blanket Stitch


Thread-u-cation Thursday: Blanket Stitch
The Blanket Stitch (or Buttonhole Stitch) always gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling. It tucks in around a fabric edge holding it safe and neatly outlining the shape. But it can also act as a decorative stitch across the surface of fabric creating rows of UUUU or MMMM depending upon orientation.

Here's how I make my Blanket Stitches: With the thread on top at A, place the tip of the needle about 1/4" up and to the right of point A. Insert the needle at B and exit at C, about 1/4" to the right of A. Trap the thread coming out of A under the needle tip and draw the needle and thread slowly through the fabric.

Point C is now Point A. Repeat the directions aboveforming a row or following the edge of a shape. Different effects are achieved by varying the spacing between points A and C or the length of the B/C stitch. Here's an example of the Blanket Stitch as an outtie rather than an innie. UUUUMMMMUUUUMMM Enjoy!

8 comments:

MARIKA said...

Very good stitch the flower smiling with him:)
Marika

Jackie said...

Very pretty! I love the fact that you use variegated thread too!

Lisa said...

I love the outie use of the blanket stitch. It's a great idea and works so well on your beautiful flower.

Karen Newman Fridy said...

love the outie!

norma said...

I never thought of doing it as an "outie". Leave it to you.......so clever!

Diane J. Evans said...

I have never thought of using the blanket stitch as an outie rather than an innie -- way to think outside the box (literally)!

Diane

Elizabeth Rosenberg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth Rosenberg said...

Love your blanket stitching, Laura. Your quilts are just so darned cute! I'm particularly interested in the blanket stitch these days because it's become the focus of my work -- only I use the machine instead of doing the stitch by hand. Take a look at my blog: http://www.elizabethrosenberg.com/weblog
If you scroll down, you'll see my Venetian Lace series, where I use the stitch to "hold down" my circles of lace. You can see it well on some of the detail pics. I keep the feed dogs down, and move the fabric to achieve the look of blanket stitching. I'd really love it if you let me know what you think! Hope to hear from you!