Thursday, April 01, 2010

Thread-u-cation Thursday: Fern Stitch


Thread-u-cation Thursday- Fern Stitch
Need a vine to climb your castle wall? Try the Fern Stitch. This embroidery stitch is perfect for all your climbing vine needs as it winds across the fabric surface.  Add a few French Knots to the tips of the fern fronds and instantly you have a climbing rose. Although it takes several steps to make these spiky linear stitches, it is so worth it.

















Here's how I make my Fern Stitch: Make a straight stitch about 1/4" long from point A to point B. Then bring the needle and thread up at point C (to the left and a little down from point B). Insert the needle back down into point A and draw the thread through to the back. Bring the needle and thread up at point D (to the right and a little down from point B). Insert the needle back down into point A.

 Repeat the stitch sequence by starting at a new point A about 1/4" down from the original point A.

If you build up a set of Fern Stitches next to each other, they become a forest of pine trees or maybe a little birds tail. It's another great stitch for building texture or line.

4 comments:

Gayle from MI said...

I know I've said this before but I love this tutorial you are doing. I already know how to do all of these stitches but it is so nice of you to show me how to use them in different ways in quilts. Especially where you only use part of the stitch. Such a Duh! moment for me.

Sewconsult said...

Thanks for the lesson. I am so glad that I found your blog. I think you are a delight.
Beckie in Brentwood, TN

Kathy said...

I really like how that fern stitch makes a vine!

Judith - Houston said...

Thanks you so much for sharing your knowledge. It is so inspirational. I want to create some with and for my 4 graddaughters aging from 5 to 10 year old.

What size there are you using in the current series of Thread-u-cation Thursday?