Friday, May 21, 2010


Batting Woes
When creating fused art quilts, I'm very aware of the scrim on batting. (Scrim is a network of glue or plastic that holds all the little fibers together. Some batts have scrim and some don't.) If you fuse your fabrics to the scrim side of the batt it may ripple the quilt top into little pruney waves....ask me how I know.

Sometimes you can see the scrim or feel it or you have to test the batt by fusing just a corner of your quilt top to the batting. If it wrinkles, pull it off and fuse it to the other side of the batt.

During a recent teaching trip I encountered another batting debacle. A student had a very dense batting that was really difficult to hand stitch through (sorry, I don't know the brand). The batting was compressed and thick and made it impossible to draw the needle and thread easily onto the surface of the quilt.

Art making is supposed to be fun. So if you find a batting that won't drive you batty, stick to it. I usually recommend Hobbs 80/20 or Fairfield's 80/20. Just avoid the scrim!

3 comments:

Diane J. Evans said...

I've never seen this quilt before, Laura -- it's GORGEOUS!!! Will you be sharing a photo of the entire piece?

And, yes, folks, scrim is VERY important. And just to be sure that I don't make a mistake, I keep a piece of batting with the word "fuse" on the correct side, after taking one of Laura's workshops -- valuable info that I don't want to forget!

Diane

judy coates perez said...

So that's the culprit! I wondered what caused that. I guess that is why I like wool so much, no scrim!

Kristi said...

Ha! I always wondered why some of my work turned out prune-y. Thanks for the recommendation. My roll of 80/20 will be the one to use. Unfortunately I worried that the 20% poly would react with the heat of the iron.

Thanks!