Thursday, May 13, 2010

Thread-u-cation- The Skinny on Thread



The are so many threads available for hand embroidery the mind reels with the possibilities! But I stick to what I know, pearl cotton embroidery thread. Pearl cotton is used whole, don't try to separate the strands. This thread doesn't flatten out on the quilt surface like embroidery floss does. It holds a nice plump shape like a juicy grain of rice on the quilt surface.

The chart above shows you what embroidery needle to match with what thread. And there is a short video on my web site demonstrating the many ways you can use pearl cotton. Here's what you do:
  • Select a Size 1 embroidery needle to stitch with a Size 3 pearl cotton thread.
  • Use a Size 3 needle for a Size 5 thread.
  • Try a size 3 or a size 4 needle for the Size 8 thread. 
  • And match a size 5 embroidery needle to the Size 12 pearl cotton thread.
Sound confusing? I know! It drives me nuts!

10 comments:

Jackie said...

This is a terrific needle and thread "chart"! Thanks!

Vicki said...

Thanks, I needed that chart. happy quilting.

Lisa said...

Love the photo chart - it definately helps me visualize. I have the hardest time remembering that small number means big!

Jenice said...

Thank you for the chart! Excellent info.

Gloria said...

Thank you for this chart. Stuff I need to know.

Robbie said...

No fun, Laura! You've taken away all the frustation we have using the different threads and hunting for that 'old' needle that worked so good the last time but we have no idea what it is! Thanks!

Jackie said...

this is so crazy helpful, you have no idea! Thank you so very much!

Rocky said...

I am learning to sew and wondered if I could get any advice to use on my blog--mostly about sock doll making, etc.

norma said...

I will definitely save this. Thanks ever so much!

Cathy said...

What a fantastic blog! Thanks!