Monday, July 19, 2010

Thread Dyeing Marathon
About twice a year I do some heavy duty dyeing.This means putting on dye stained clothing, praying a rubber glove doesn't leak, and discovering fuchsia dye dripping down my foot. It's a great time of year!

This week I'm dyeing pearl cotton thread in my standard 58 colorways. It's a long process. After reeling the thread into a skein, I mix the dyes and paint the dyes on the pre-treated skeins. Later I wash and wash and wash the skeins by hand with buckets and buckets of water. (Dye week is also a good week to do laundry as I can use the laundry waste water to fill my buckets for thread washing.) And like my hero, Scarlett O'Hara, I'll worry about untangling and twisting all the dried thread into skeins..... tomorrow

Here is the finished product all tucked inside their little draws waiting for a stitcher hold and love them. They're colorful threads. They need a colorful cabinet to hold them (bought at Costco years ago).


8 comments:

Karen said...

....wow! Thats alot of work....love the colorful drawers....and the thread, too, of course!

Mishka said...

Gorgeous colours!

@home said...

I love those drawers, what a wonderful way to organise your work.

WoolenSails said...

I haven't used procion on threads yet, will have to try it. I have been using rit since it is easy to get, but still working on getting colors the way I want.

Debbie

Lisa said...

WOW that is a LOT of thread. They are absolutely beautiful.

群學群學 said...

相逢即是有緣~~留個言問候一聲,祝您平安順利..................................................................

楊儀卉 said...

生存乃是不斷地在內心與靈魂交戰;寫作是坐著審判自己。..................................................

Frieda said...

Those are gorgeous colors and I love your size 12 thread to machine quilt with.