Thursday, July 15, 2010

Thread-u-cation Thursday: Arrow Stitch

The Arrow Stitch is a handy stitch for creating branches for your little trees or as a decorative feature for the surface of your quilt. Vary the distance between stitches or lengthen the stitches to ignite even more pointy textures.
Here's how I make my Arrow Stitches: Bring the needle and thread up at point A and re-insert the needle about 1/4" down and 1/4" to the right of A at point B. Slide the needle under the fabric to point C which is about 1/4" up and 1/4" to the right of point B.You want points A, B, and C to form a right angle. Draw the thread through the fabric at point C.

Now re-insert the needle at point B and slide the needle under the fabric to a new point A which is about 1/4" to the left of point B. Draw the thread through the fabric. Repeat the above instructions beginning with the new point A.

The Arrow Stitch is the perfect stitch to decorate the edges of this little quilt called Small World #6. Small World is indeed small measuring a mere 9" x 9". It is part of a new series of improvisational quilts I'm playing with at this time.

8 comments:

Sharon said...

I love the colors of this sweet quilt.

WoolenSails said...

Wonderful piece and tutorial.
I am trying to finish up projects I started and patterns I am making, but I really want to work on some art pieces and have some fun.

Debbie

吳婷婷 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Darlee Byron said...

What a cool idea for this stitch! I'm looking forward to receiving your Fuse-and-Tell book in the mail that I ordered from Amazon...

sgrasvik said...

Your tutorials are really nifty and helpful. Thanks for being so generous. Sonia G.

Margreth said...

This is a lovely blogg and I recognise your way to use stitches all over the quilt. I do it myself and find that it makes the surface alive. You make great quilts!
Margreth

姿吟 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mary Lou Weidman said...

Hey, that quilt makes me happy as do all of your things and I love the idea of touching the surface and feeling the tactile"ness" (I made this up I think) of the thread and the fabric and then the design....a great post!