Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thread-u-cation Thursdays: Stitching Station

Most evenings I plop down on my comfy leather reading chair and stitch for an hour or two while ignoring the television set. It's important to me to have a comfortable place to sit and enjoy the stitch process. Above is what you'll see surrounding me at my stitching station.

There are my skeins of pearl cotton threads in sizes 5, 8, and 12 ready to pull from their metal loop holder and a small quilt ready for stitching. The little scissors and my thimbles fit inside an eyeglass case that also holds my packets of needles. That orange thing in the lower left is where I stick the needles I'm using. It's a home-made needle holder made from a piece of Timtex folded in half and covered with fused fabric. The felt inside is also fused into place so there is something easy to slip the needles into.

That white blob on the left? It's my stitching light. The light has a magnifier but I don't use it cause it drives me nuts!  Do you have a place to sit and stitch? I hope its a comfy chair like mine.


4 comments:

Karen said...

...mostly in the car...when my husband is driving us somewhere.

WoolenSails said...

I have a leather chair too and a pillow for my back, then my feet on the ottoman;) I bought pieces with drawers in them, so I can keep my basic supplies near me, then I can just grab things when I need to use them and then hide them away.

Debbie

Sewconsult said...

I recognize the glasses case (Vera Bradley)! My cousin sent me one for my birthday, but I am using for a sewing kit also. Today, I went on a couch shopping trip and needed to take a bunch of small fabric swatches. The glasses case was perfect for my various swatches.
I might need to get another case for other uses.
Beckie

Chris Hudson said...

Hi Laura, I have for years (30?!) done by hand stitching propped up on my bed. I have plenty of pillows for comfy sitting, a good lamp, nice side table for necessities (you forgot to mention snacks and a beverage!), and when sewing the binding on a quilt, you've got the whole bed on which to spread out the quilt. Happy stiching!