Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thread-u-cation Thursdays: Variegated Threads
 Almost all the threads I use for my hand embroidery are of variegated colors. True, some colorways I dye are colors that are very close in value (like Oranges above) but most change colors every 2-3 inches like the colorway Moss (seen below).
So why choose variegated pearl cotton thread for my hand embroidery? Changes in color value or hue make the surface more active and tantalize the eye. I'm making small quilts and I want to draw the viewer closer and hold their attention. Color is the first thing we notice when we look at art so why not give the viewer lots of color with variegated thread. Variegated thread makes for some lively stitching!

6 comments:

Ruth Anne Olson said...

Yes, the variegated threads make a huge difference in the look. I love yours.

Jane Moxey said...

Your Artfabrik variegated threads are the best!

嘉王偉 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lisa said...

I love varigated threads for that very reason. I know some people like to control where every color ends up but I like being able to let loose and be happy with the beautiful, random results!

WoolenSails said...

I do like using them with art pieces, makes such a nice effect.

Debbie

文王廷 said...

快樂,是享受工作過程的結果..................................................