Thursday, August 05, 2010

Thread-u-cation Thursdays: Crown Stitch


To me the Crown Stitch looks like a little person turning cart wheels. That's why I've chosen the Crown Stitch for this particular place on the hill of my little quilt, Small World #7. It looks like a group of agile gymnasts ready to cart wheel down the hill.
Here's how I make my Crown Stitches: Bring the needle and thread up at point A, then draw them through the fabric at point B which is about 1/4" to the right and 1/4" down from point A. Next bring the needle and thread up at point C (about 1/4" straight up from B). Plunge the needle back into point B and draw the thread through. Now bring the needle and thread up at point D which is 1/4" to the right of C (on that same line of A and C). Re-insert the needle at B to make a W shape.
Now bring the needle up at point E which is about 1/2" due south of point A. Slide the needle under the 3 straight stitches above.

Your next step is to again plunge the needle into the fabric, this time at point F which is about 1/2" due south of point D.  Now leap about. You have completed the crown and you are a princess!

2 comments:

geni said...

Wonderful stitch, thank you for your tutorial!

Diane N said...

I've never known this stitch before. Thanks for the lesson.

Every Thursday I am so excited to see which stitch you will be showcasing. I love Thread-u-cation. Thanks for taking the time to do it for all of us blog readers.