Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Why You Should Make Some Art Today


This is why I love to work with fabric and stitchery: It is the feel of the fabric in your hands. It is the repetative motion of needle and thread. It is the combining of color and texture and pattern that thrills me.

Above you see the stitchery on a crazy quilt by Emily C. Badders made in 1852, a hundred years before I was born. I love looking at these images and imagining her adding the hand stitchery. You know that she delighted in making every stitch. But did she know how much pleasure we would get in looking at her work?

This is a great reason to make art. Someone, somewhere, someday will enjoy it and delight in viewing it.

So go make some art today and make someone happy a hundred years from now!

9 comments:

Ruth Anne Olson said...

Oh, yes. The feel of the fabric...

WoolenSails said...

I do love the feel of fabrics and just love handling them and creating with them.

Debbie

susan m hinckley said...

You can't beat wool for "tactile ness". Once I picked it up and started stitching on it, I couldn't stop and had to abandon all else.

And there's something so wonderful about old needlework. When I hold it, I can't help imagining what the stitcher was thinking and feeling while she was holding the same piece. Thanks for sharing!

Muddling Through said...

She did some pretty amazing stitches!

Greenmare said...

I totally agree! I was fortunate enough to inherit some very old wonderful quilts from my husbands grandma, they are amazing! I can't believe how old they are and they are still hanging in there.

TRABAJO ARTESANO said...

I invite you to my new blog.
The perfect gift. http://trabajoartesano.blogspot.com

Donna Becker said...

Isn't it neat that someone's art can be found and enjoyed years down the road?
Several years ago, I saw a wonderful painting at a garage sale. It was dark and rich, a scene of old boats in a marina. I fell in love with it and brought it home. Haven't a clue who painted it, but that artist's work never fails to touch me each time I admire it.
Create! Create! Create!

myrtle said...

WoW! what an amazing stitches.=D
Buy Rift Platinum

royal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.