Thursday, September 09, 2010

Thread-u-cation Thursdays: Ottoman Trousers


One of the highlights of my recent trip to the UK was a visit to the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. Frieda and I spent hours visiting the wonderful collections of decorative arts. But, by far, the textile collection  in the Textile Study Room was my favorite. Viewing the embroideries was overwhelming!

Here you see a detail from one of the embroidered textiles on display. This is cotton embroidered with silk in a tent stitch and decorated with pulled thread strips. The fabric is part of a woman's trouser panel from around the mid 19th century, Ottoman. The V&A collection is huge! What a wonderful resource for expanding my knowledge and love of embroidery.

2 comments:

Greenmare said...

WOW! I am amazed at this, there is so much work in there!

Darlee Byron said...

I've never heard of the tent stitch, very cool.