Thursday, September 30, 2010

Thread-u-cation Thursday: Colonial Knot

Put on your powdered wig and grab your knickerbockers! We are about to learn the Colonial Knot! (OK, the knickerbocker reference may not be historically correct but grab something!) I like stitching Colonial Knots because they are faster to make than French Knots and you can easily toss them in as a background filler with the Scattered Seed stitch (see above). Also, it gives me an excuse to wear knickerbockers.
Here's how I make my Colonial Knots: With the thread on the top of the quilt at A, form a backwards letter C with the thread. Then place the needle to the right of point A. Slip the needle under the thread so it is going across the tip of the needle and under the shaft of the needle.

Now shift the needle in front of point A and wrap the thread across the needle and slip it under the tip of the needle. It should look like a figure 8 around the needle.

Scoot the needle tip across the fabric to insert it back into the fabric close to point A. Draw the needle and thread through the fabric and invite the neighbors over for Thanksgiving. Congratulations! You are now an official Colonial Knot Maker! You may now remover your knickerbockers.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Great post about something I can use!

Thanks,

Lisa L. Kay
www.modernartquilter.com
www.12connected.blogspot.com

WoolenSails said...

I always make a mess of my knots, your tutorial is nice and clear, so that dunces like me can understand;)

Debbie

crazylegs said...

I always thought of knickerbocker as beer. Which makes the stitching much more fun!

Lisa said...

I haven't seen this stitch before. I will have to give it a try. Thanks for the clear photos!