Thursday, October 14, 2010

Thread-u-cation Thursday: Coral Stitch

If you need a little bumpy line on your quilt top, try the Coral Stitch. The lines across the sky made with the Coral Stitch remind this curious bird of something out of geometry class. But, alas, that was 40 years ago and the little bird has discarded that info long ago along with the Pythagoras Theorem. (If you're out there Pythagoras, my apologies.)
Here's how I make my Coral Stitches: Bring the needle and thread up at point A and stretch the thread out on the fabric in a line to the left. At a distance of about 1/4" from A, take a small stitch from point B to C under the thread.
Snug the thread under the needle and then slowly draw the needle through point C to create a knot. Repeat these steps across the fabric. Somehow making this knotty little line feels so good!

7 comments:

MÂȘ Clara Lloveras said...

Hi, your work is very lovely!!!!
I like much it!

raquel said...

me encanta tu blog ,me perece super bello saludos

Ruth Anne Olson said...

Great information, Laura. Thanks. It looks so nice on your quilt.

geni said...

Laura, thank you for sharing this.
I love your works of art!

Diane J. Evans said...

Pythagoras is not upset, trust me -- hardly anyone remembers his theorem (I know this from my experience as a high school math teacher). Your little bird should not be burdened with remembering this piece of information -- he's too cute.

Diane

WoolenSails said...

What I love is seeing the stitch like you show in your tutorial and then a piece, showing how it looks. I want a book with all of your stitches;)

Debbie

Lisa said...

What a clever little stitch!