Thursday, November 04, 2010

Thread-u-cation Thursdays: Combining Stitches

Here we see the fly stitch. It is sad. So very alone and plain. But wait! What if we combine it with another stitch?

Yes, that's the ticket! Combine the Fly Stitch with the French Knot and (as they say in French) viola! We have a joyful combination of stitches fit for the tail feathers of a very happy bird.
This Thread-u-cation Thursday was brought to you by the  Association for Combining Embroidery Stitches (ACES) uniting stitches and stitchers around the world. Like an online dating service, ACES pairs stitches together to make stitch combinations that live happily ever after. Join ACES today and get your stitches together.
(Sorry, I've been at the Houston quilt show too long!)

8 comments:

Diane D. said...

Laura, I'm not a handwork type person, but you may just convert me. It's a lovely combination.

Deb said...

Aww, but is there an association song yet? A few more days at the quilt show and you should easily come up with one! Maybe Frieda can make a video of you singing it for us so that we can all learn it! And perfect for the debut of your new book!

Quilt or Dye said...

Okay, I am looking all over your blog for the logo button for ACES so I can put it on my blog. And are there any dues? LOL

Wendy said...

I love Thursdays!
Thank you so much for doing this every week.
=-)

WoolenSails said...

I do love that combination. I love doing birds and have always used the plain feather.

Debbie

Jane Moxey said...

ACES is ace, Laura! Oh I can see new logos and, as Deb said, we shall all be waiting with bated breath for The Song! I would think that with some of the interesting names of embroidery stitches, you'll have one going in a heartbeat! New DVD please about the lovely stitches to accompany your upcoming book!
Hmm "Thread-u-Cation, here I come, right back where I started from! The Fly Stitch, French Knots, they're all The Bomb.... etc!"

Maggie Szafranski said...

We have a college named ACES here at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign! ACES = Agricultural, Consumer, and Environmental Sciences! Consider yourself the north branch! Great to see you at Houston!

MarveLes Art Studios said...

You are fabulous! Thanks for the great posts!