Thursday, December 16, 2010

Thread-u-cation Thursdays: Stitch Marks

One of my favorite stitches to make is the Stem or Outline Stitch. When placing this stitch on a solid background fabric, it's like drawing a line with a colored pencil. It is a linear stitch and if you line up a bunch of Stem Stitches you can make shapes like a basket, clouds, sky, and grass.
My little apple basket embroidery measures about 3" x 3". It is stitched on black cotton fabric in a free-form style. By free-form I mean that I didn't mark the fabric. I began by stitching the rim of the basket and designed the embroidery as I stitched. It's sort of like drawing with colored pencils only your needle and thread are your mark making tools.  And that's what embroidery is all about. Making marks on fabric!

6 comments:

Karen said...

lovely little piece! Just wanted to let you know my fist full of threads arrived here yesterday! Will post pics when I do something with them. Thank you!!

Carol said...

Such a pretty piece with sooooo many stitches!!

Kathy said...

that's really beautiful!!!

Gayle from MI said...

I like how you share all of your lovely work and ideas with us.

WoolenSails said...

I love how you did that piece with a simple stitch. It reminds me when we did drawings from only lines. It is a good exercise to think about shapes in objects.

Debbie

Diane J. Evans said...

WOW!! Nothing else, just "WOW!!!"

Diane