Thursday, December 23, 2010

Thread-u-cation Thursdays: Stitchers Block

 Here is a view of a new quilt I'm stitching. Where are the stitches you ask? Beats me!
Like a kid with too much candy, I am overwhelmed by the stitchery options. Do I add French Knots, Running, Outline, or Seed Stitches? I can't decide! So in an effort to calm down, I remind myself that hand embroidery stitches on a quilt have a purpose.

Stitches define a fabric shape to tell the viewer what the shape is. They outline shapes to separate shapes from each other and to add contrast. Stitches decorate fabric shapes to create texture, pattern, and energy on the piece. By repeating thread colors and stitch shapes, I can carry the eye of the viewer across the art. Now, back to work. As they say, "sewing is believing".

5 comments:

Gale, pursuing as much as I can as fast as I can! said...

I was rambling on about "too many choices" in my Morning Pages today. Sometimes it's a blessing but it seems lately all those choices leave me totally blocked!! Good way to refocus, tho! I'll remember that!

WoolenSails said...

I can never decide what stitches to use, that is why I keep reading your blog. I need to feel comfortable with my choices and have a better skill level for hand stitching.

Debbie

Liesbeth Wessels said...

I find it also very difficult to know what kind of stitches fits with the patern.
I recieved my threads today, thank you they are very beautiful. greetings from liesbeth

beverlyanne said...

Laura, I am just writing to thank you for your generosity in sharing and teaching others your wonderful and inspiring techniques. I am taking a break from embroidering my current project. Inspired by you, I am using embroidery as an embellishment for the first time. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and New Year, and thank you again.

susan said...

I love your art and I love the whimsy and fun you add! I'm in need of thread-u-cation! What size thread do you use for hand embroidery? Looking forward to your new book!