Thursday, January 13, 2011

Thread-u-cation: Pincushions!

Without knowing it, I have become a pincushion collector. (It sort of crept up on me like weight gain in winter.) There is always a pincushion close at hand when I'm sewing whether at the machine or while doing embroidery. Here you see a small gathering of my pincushions. The cup of hot cocoa on the right is from my friend, Frieda. It's made with felted sweaters. Others came from Spain, Scotland, and South Carolina.
Celebrating the everyday object is a common theme for many of my quilts and I've made a few pincushion quilts in my day. (The pattern for this quilt can be found in Fuse and Tell Journal Quilts.)
I love the idea of a functional tool that can be whimsical as well. Pincushions range from your typical tomato to chickens, to space vehicles. I wonder if there is a name for someone who collects pincushions. Anybody know?

11 comments:

Gene Black said...

I have several pincushions but I don't have a "Tomato/strawberry" one.

Gale, pursuing as much as I can as fast as I can! said...

I love-love-love pincushions! Making them, especially. There are so many fun patterns out there. Plus the things are so darn handy! I have them everywhere as well (as I do "peeps" magnifying glasses).

Gene, I use my tomato pincushion to keep track of what needle is in my machine. I "partitioned it off" with a black sharpie & put needle sizes in the boxes. Still-good needles go in their appropriate "box", a flowerhead pin in the cushion shows me what needle is currently in my machine. Very functional, even if not for pins :o)

Sheila said...

Love your pin cushions. I seem to be noticing I have a number of them now as well.And I'm looking for them now, too.Your quilts are beautiful.

Wendy said...

We could make something up:
How about a

Pincushionado?

(rhymes with aficionado)

[Whatever. It's early. Apparently too early for me to think straight.]
=-)

Frummie said...

Hi Laura,
I too LOVE pincushions! I have 4 in the works now (I get bored making just one).
Hugs,
Frummie

WoolenSails said...

Pin cushions are fun to make as gifts too.
I need to do more regular sewing again.

Debbie

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Love your pin cushion collection! How about pincushionaholics? woo- hoo we can start another whole group :-)

Laura Wasilowski said...

What a great idea Gale! Thanks for sharing it with your fellow pincushionaholics. Also know as pincushionados.

Diane J. Evans said...

What a cool thing to collect -- beautiful AND useful.

Now I have to start working on a name for all the collectors -- you've given us a challenge.

Diane

Karen said...

Pinista???

anna said...

Coach Hobos Bags.Those are the awesome shops I wanna tell you guys Movado Bold,Baby Carriers I mean I am serious for this, you can just simple choose this option and pick what you want,power balance,winter boots,ecco shoesyou can just simple choose this option and pick what you want.Bakugan Toys.coach outlet store.