Sunday, February 27, 2011

Simply Art Chicago

 Coleen's Calling Birds #13
If you are in the Evanston, IL area in March, please check out an exhibit at Simply Chicago Art Gallery by the Fiber Arts Coalition. Fiber Arts Coalition members are from the upper mid-west region of the US and are also professional artist members of the the non-profit organization, Studio Art Quilt Associates, SAQA.
My quilt, Coleen's Calling Birds #13, is part of the Blackbirds exhibit and based upon a stanza in the poem, 13 Ways of Looking at a Blackbird from Wallace Stevens' first book of poetry, Harmonium, published in 1917. The line I chose from his poem is:
XII: It was evening all afternoon. It was snowing. And it was going to snow. The blackbird sat In the cedar-limbs.

Clearly, Stevens had been to Illinois in winter.

5 comments:

Gene Black said...

I can see it now- at the art show:

Mabeline: Look at that Clara, she don't even know what color a blackbird is!
Clara: I swear, that woman needs help.

(based on things I heard at art shows when I was entering paintings in shows)

Ha ha.. I love the quilt.

Diane N said...

Wallace Stevens went to Harvard and lived in New York so I'm sure he knew what snow was. LOL!
This is such a beautiful quilt, Laura. Your quilts always make me feel happy. What better gift could you give us all?

WoolenSails said...

I have never been that far out west, someday I will have to. Looks like a great show and love your piece.

Debbie

Sewconsult said...

Great quilt. Love the bird looking up to see the snow.
Gene's comment had me laughing so hard! Have a great day.
Beckie in rainy Brentwood, TN

Karen said...

Wonderful! This gallery is practically right in my backyard!!! I never even knew there was a gallery there. Def. going to stop in!