Thursday, February 24, 2011

Thread-u-cation Thursdays: Total Hoopless

 
 Just a quick note to those seasoned embroiderers out there who use a hoop when stitching their quilt tops. When stitching a fused art quilt, you must go hoopless.
Why, you ask, must I not hoop my work? Fused art quilts are made up of lots of small elements fused or glued to the surface of the fabric. If you place a hoop on the elements, the hoop will stretch and abrade the design element. The little piece of fabric may fray or even lift off the fabric. So for the best results, you must be totally hoopless.

3 comments:

Maggie Szafranski said...

Better to be hoopless than hopeless, I always say!

WoolenSails said...

I never use a hoop, like being able to hold the fabric in my hands as I work.

Debbie

Dianne said...

Thanks for the tip! Your embroidery rocks btw!!!