Saturday, March 26, 2011

Can You Doodle Like a Zen Master?

An easy way to jump start your next art quilt design is by doodling. There is a technique I like to use that some call Zen Doodling. (I like to call it: Fooling Around With A Pencil And Paper or FAWAPAP.)

Zen doodling is very meditative and allows you to block out the sight of dirty dishes in the sink. Here's how to begin.
  • Draw an enclosed shape like a square, circle or oval. 
  • Now sub-divide the shape with lines that create even more enclosed shapes.
  • Fill in those shapes with motifs and patterns like dots, squares, or stripes.
Seedpods #2
My quilt, Seedpods #2, was inspired by a Zen doodle similar to the drawing above. If you'd like to learn more about this technique for designing your next quilt, please see my article in the April/May 2011 issue of Quilting Arts Magazine. You can follow the process of drawing the doodle and creating the quilt (all the while ignoring the dirty dishes in the sink).

11 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I wonderful how many of us, throw out designs that we doodle. I bet half of them would make wonderful art pieces.

Debbie

Lisa said...

I love ignoring the dirty dishes! Thanks for the great article. Loved it.

Sunny Day said...

I just recently learned about Zentangling and now I see it in a quilt. Never would have thought to use it that way.

upstateLisa said...

how timely! I have been doodling around since I took out Sandy Bartholomew's book from the library on tangling this week!

Gene Black said...

Thanks for the idea. I will take some of my ZenTangle doodles and try doing this too!
I have to do something with the 10 yards of WU-WU I just bought.

Frannie said...

Hmmm, I doodle all the time. I will have to try this method. Sounds like fun.
Thank you for sharing.

Pat said...

I like your seed pod art quilt. Gene Black mentioned using the doodles as the basis for quilts and linked me to your blog. What fun it is here!

Jackie said...

What a simple straight forward way to explain it... now I am going to try that for my next art quilt. thank you!

Mimi said...

FAWAPAP rules and so does FADDINS (forget about dirty dishes in the sink!!) Thanks for the how-to, you make it look so easy and the results are awesome!!

Jeanne Marklin said...

Look forward to seeing your zen doodle results inQA.Keats love your colors!

Greenmare said...

oh my gosh, I do this in my prayer journal! I think of someone I want to pray for, then I doodle a shape or two and start embellishing the shape with more shapes and then color it with colored pencils or crayons or markers. I could make them into wallhangings too, I never thought of taking it to that level! how did that never occur to me?