Friday, March 04, 2011

Digital Sketchbook: Farmer's Daughter Welcomes the 21st Century!

You just can't keep a girl down on the farm. Although armed with an IPad and the Art Studio app, I still create artwork based upon the farmland of my youth. This confirms a universal truth about art making: make what you know.
Chicory (above) is based upon those little blue flowers you see growing along the roadside when pedaling your bike into town from the farm. (Not sure if they really are Chicory flowers, but the blue color is lovely.) No matter if the inspiration for your art comes from a lowly little flower or from finger painting on a new fangled machine the advice is always the same: make what you know.

5 comments:

Cedar Ridge Studio said...

I love those little blue flowers. They and the Queens Ann Lace brighten any day.

Greenmare said...

I love both of these! country girl here too! and yes that is chicory! we have it growing in the orchard, and I tend to mow around it becuase I think it's pretty. ;-)

Maggie Szafranski said...

I love the chicory and the Queen Anne's Lace! The wildflowers of the prairie are glorious!

taiqi said...

what a lovely quilt. It is one of my favorite flowers and , as usual, you interpreted it in a lovely manner. Janet

Sewconsult said...

Love it. I will have to add that app to my iPad! Thanks for that info.
Beckie in Brentwood, TN