Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Four Reasons to Make Art

Coleen's Calling Birds #17
In the past few weeks I've make a series of new fused art quilts. They are small little pieces, like this one above. Each one is near and dear to my heart. These pieces are not functional in any way. They won't keep you warm in winter and as wearing apparel they're a little skimpy. So why make them?

Here are 4 perfectly good reasons to make art:
  • Make art to escape. When you make art you leave the reality of everyday life. Time passes unnoticed and you enter a zone of creative consciousness away from the rest of the world.
  • Make art to create something of beauty. It never hurts to add something beautiful to the world whether a garden, tasty meal, or bright quilt top. We all need loveliness in our life.
  • Make art to express yourself. Tell the world about your hopes or fears or appreciation of life. Like writing a journal, quilts tell your stories in cloth.
  • Make art to enrich your life. It doesn't matter what you make. The act of creating leads to discoveries about life that are well worth the journey. Enjoy the process!

6 comments:

deborah said...

Oh, what a glorious work of art! Love the whimsy and the design.

Enjoy your reasons to create, I just know I get cranky if I've been away from the sewing machine for a few days-

WoolenSails said...

All good reasons to make small art pieces. I really do have fun when I make something, just because.

Debbie

soren2go said...

I am beginning to move myself over from traditional to smaller art quilts. Your comments are very encouraging. Of course since I have two DGDs, there will still be the occasional traditional quilt......quilted by someone else.

Nienke said...

Shall I add a fifth? Make art to inspire others and warm them with your ideas and energy. Thank you so much for doing so Laura!

kabape said...

I,m very inspired by your work and I also follow your 4 advises the best I can. THANKS.

Diane J. Evans said...

What great words of wisdom, Laura -- thank you for sharing so much of yourself with all of us.

Diane