Saturday, March 05, 2011

Stitching Like a Jersey Girl

It's been a fun 3 days teaching at the Quilt Fest of New Jersey. My students are lovely people, making beautiful fused art quilts. I'd bring them home with me, but their fabric stashes wouldn't fit in the house.
Today's class, Stitch After Fusing, begins with  a composition of flowers, fused to background fabrics, that are steam set to batting and hand embroidered. The hand stitchery will bring the little quilts to life and spark a few stories in the classroom. I guarantee one person will mention that they pretend to watch TV with their spouse while actually ignoring both and concentrating on sewing. No doubt this method of sharing the TV remote has saved many a marriage.

3 comments:

Gene Black said...

I really DO watch TV while I am sewing....well, sewing on the machine.

Sewconsult said...

Love both quilt pics. I wish I could do the hand embroidery these days. My hands just don't cooperate.
I did decades of smocking and embroidery. When I see your work, I just get the itch!
Beckie in Brentwood, TN

Frannie said...

Love works of art. The stitching is so beautiful.
Cute remark regarding the tv remote....but oh so true.