Thursday, March 03, 2011

Thread-u-cation Thursdays: Do These Stitches Make My Legs Look Fat?

Here is another great example of Satin Stitches on a really fine cotton hankie from my friend Frieda Anderson. Aren't you enamored with the black and white patterning of the chickens' breast? It is sort of like piano keys reflected in a mirror. And although the chicken is beautifully stitched, notice that the legs are a little...um.... thick (is she wearing hip boots or something?). The baby chick looks a bewildered as I do about the girth of her drumsticks.
Here is my version of a stitched chicken workin' the barnyard. Her name is Frieda Fryer, named for my good friend, Frieda, of above fame. If you look closely, you'll see the Cross Stitch, Scattered Seed Stitch, French Knot, and Straight Stitches in colorful Size 8 thread decorating Frieda Fryer's fine-looking frame. Sure chickens are goofy looking and have strange personalities but they also are a perfect canvas for stitching. Do you have any chicken stitching to show me? I'd love to see it!

3 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I did long stitching a long time ago on a needle work piece, but no chickens. I think the thick legs work perfectly with it, makes it more whimsical.

Debbie

susan said...

I think you're so hilarious! I look at your blog just for a good belly laugh! I wish I could just rip out a few stitches to make my body look trim!

Love your work. Trying to escape conviction for my glue murder...so glad for free motion/thread painting.

Momz Blotter said...

What a great blog, I just had to follow, I hope you will visit me and follow my blog at www.momzblotter.blogspot.com