Thursday, March 24, 2011

Thread-u-cation Thursdays: Dot and Daisy, Good Friends

Meet my good friends, Dot and Daisy. Like you and your friends, they like to get together and make things. Things like fudge, and brownies, and chocolate cake with ice cream..... but I digress.

The Dot and Daisy Stitch is really a combination of the Lazy Daisy and French Knot stitches made by first building the daisy and then adding the dot on top. You may want to review those stitches or just wing it!
Here's how to make the Dot and Daisy Stitch: Begin as you would a Lazy Daisy by exiting the fabric at point A. Now insert the needle right next to A and take a short stitch (about 1/4") and exit the fabric at B. Trap the thread under the needle and draw the needle and thread through the fabric to create a loop.
The next step is to make a French Knot by grasping the thread in your left hand and holding it parallel to the fabric. Wind the thread clockwise around the horizontal needle 3 times. Insert the needle tip on the other side of the original Lazy Daisy thread loop. Now slowly draw the needle and thread through the knot to the back of the quilt.

Isn't that sweet? If you know the real name of this stitch, please let me know. If not, send chocolate.

6 comments:

Wendy said...

I apologize profusely Laura, but we've gone on the Adkins diet here, so there's NO sugar *anywhere* in my house!
Which, consequently, means
NO CHOCOLATE!!!

(Sounds like torture, but we really feel SO much better, so, No Worries!)
But i would *totally* send chocolate if i had any!
=-)

Thanks for the cute tip.
-W

WoolenSails said...

I saw a similar stitch in the books I had, but I took them back. I realized that most stitches are just variations on basic ones, so it is easier for me to make them up as I go, I cannot follow instructions;)

Debbie

Bianchii said...

Hello.
I started to write blog in English.
I will write about everythinkg, will be a lot of pictures, reviews of books, films, songs etc.
So it would be nice if you visit my blog sometimes :)
(Sorry for mistakes, I'm still learning English)
http://bianchii.blogspot.com

averilpam said...

I do very little hand embroidery so i don't know if your combination stitch has a name or not, but it's a very good idea!
I would have sent chocolate but I just ate it all, sorry...

Betty Jo said...

How cool is that, Laura! If I bake a chocolate cake will you come to my house (Ashburn, VA)? Cheers, BJ (aka Sewdreamy)

Greenmare said...

that little segment of the dots and daisies just makes me happy!