Thursday, March 17, 2011

Thread-u-cation Thursdays: Elongate Your Daisies

While stitching a little quilt top last night I discovered another variation on the Lazy Daisy Stitch. Or to be more accurate, I made a mistake while making the Lazy Daisy and now claim to have discovered another stitch! I'm calling it the Elongated Lazy Daisy and I am not to be trusted. (This just in! Deepa reports that this is called the Long-tailed Lazy Daisy and is used in Brazilian Embroidery.)
Here's how to make the Long-tailed Lazy Daisy stitch: begin as you would a Lazy Daisy stitch with the needle and thread exiting the fabric at point A. Insert the needle tip right next to A. Take a short stitch (about 1/4") to the left and exit the fabric at B. Trap the thread under the needle and draw the needle and thread through the fabric creating a loop.
Now, instead of inserting the needle into the fabric right over the loop at B, insert the needle about 1/4" left of B at point C. Pull the needle and thread gently through the fabric to create a long stem on a tulip shaped stitch.

Congratulations, you have now elongated your daisy! Make a row of stitches like I have above our place them in a circle to make a flower like shape. Trust me, you'll love adding hand embroidery to your quilts. And Happy St. Patrick's Day too!

7 comments:

Gene Black said...

May the luck o' the Irish be with you.

deborah said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

WoolenSails said...

I find that I end up making up stitches as I go, too.
I am horrible at following directions, so I look at the stitch and then figure a way to do it, lol.

Debbie

Jane Moxey said...

Love this Two-Lip stitch! Yay for continuing the embroidery adventures!

Deepa said...

Laura,
This stitch is known by the name Long-tailed lazy daisy and is commonly used for leaves in Brazilian embroidery.
Deepa

MiniBinoy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MiniBinoy said...

yes it is a variation of lazy daisy!