Tuesday, April 05, 2011

How toTuesdays: Why You Should Be a Little Biased When Fusing

Spring Leaves with bias cut strips
One of the hazards of raw edged fusing is the dreaded frayed edge. Fabric shapes with threads sticking out like whiskers detract from your gorgeous art work. You want a close shave and to "Keep Your Edges Clean!"

How to Keep Your Edges Clean: First use sharp tools. Sharp scissors and rotary cutters give you a nice clean cut. Dull blades fray fabric.
 Also, when cutting out strips or other linear fabric shapes, cut the fabric on the bias. Bias cut fabrics don't fray. A bias cut fabric is cut at a 45 degree angle to the grain of the fabric. 
A simple way to find the bias is to cut a square of fabric using the selvedge edge of the fabric as one side of your square. Cut across the square from corner to corner to form 2 triangles. The long sides of the 2 triangles are the bias edges.


Whether your strips are wide or narrow, bias cut fabrics do not sprout whiskers! Their edges are as smooth as a walrus's behind. (Not that I've ever touched a walrus's posterior.......)

5 comments:

Linda said...

This is a great tip! I love the colorful leaf, by the way!

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

Thanks for sharing . I love your blog, and all your colorful projects!

WoolenSails said...

Great tip, never knew that one. I always worry about those smaller and skinny pieces. Now if my machine would get home, I could start on the piece I was going to make.

Debbie

Gale, pursuing as much as I can as fast as I can! said...

OK you are officially WONDERWOMAN. Teaching all day then still finding the time to blog!! You are amazing!

Donna Becker said...

Yep! I'm officially biased! Really enjoying your blog.