Thursday, May 26, 2011

Gardening Tip #2: How to Foil a Rabbit

Having trouble with the local lettuce thieves in your garden? I have found that rabbits are a huge pest. But here's a solution that doesn't involve firearms and makes you feel really smart too.

Plant the lettuces in pots. Then put the pots on a table. Then hire a rabbit seeking dog to guard the table. Cause, trust me, those rascally rabbits will find a way to get that lettuce.
Red Wheelbarrow
In the ideal gardening world your garden would look like this. A sweet red wheelbarrow glides through the neat rows. The sun shines. Birds sing overhead. And all the rabbits are chowing down at the neighbors house.

7 comments:

Gale, pursuing as much as I can as fast as I can! said...

I love the rabbit/dog statues! Where is that?

Laura Wasilowski said...

Hi Gale,
Aren't those giant rabbits wonderful?! I love large statuary.
You can find them in front of the ruins of the Roman Baths in Bath, England. My friend, Christine Porter, brought me there during a visit to the UK.

Linda said...

The rabbit statues are great!
I love the romantic idea of a garden. That is the one I had in my head, too. I just never imagined the daily watering, weeding, thinning and then the harvesting, peeling, "water baths", "ice baths", etc. etc. etc. WORK! :o)

lettielulu said...

Funny you should write about rabbits - mine (Mother and baby)are eating my lucious green Black Eyed Susan leaves. We're about to leave for a few days and I know they will all be gone when we return. Unfortunately they are planted in the ground, so there is no escape from those darn hares!!

WoolenSails said...

Love those statues, so unique.
I am in the mood to do an art piece, but I have to go out for a bit, so maybe when I get back. I am having fun doing small pieces and praticing.

Debbie

Carol said...

My current lab would chase those rabbits away. However, I used to have a 100 lb black lab who was a former show dog. He had no hunting in his blood at all. We were known as the safe house for squirrels, ducks, rabbits and prairie dogs!

deborah said...

Love the statues - how whimsical!
I plant my lettuce in pots, too, so that I can try to keep it growing all summer. When it get warmer I move the pot into the shade. Love that leaf lettuce:)