Saturday, May 28, 2011

Gardening Tip #4: Attract Local Fauna to Your Garden


Winter in Illinois has not been kind to my collection of garden birdhouses. They usually decorate the back fence or are artfully scattered around the garden. Sadly, the dilapidated structures are in need of repair or in many cases, replacement.

Yes! I love shopping for new birdhouses!
With any luck I'll find some birdhouses that look like this. Something bright and festive and sure to attract interesting birds with a flare for design.

It's so important to keep your garden spruced up for visiting creatures like the local raccoon family or odd skunk or two. And a sure way to keep them coming back is to decorate the garden with something colorful like the decorative birdhouse.

4 comments:

Gale, pursuing as much as I can as fast as I can! said...

My local raccoon took to my attic! Once that happens, they've worn out their welcome. But I do love birdhouses! Love finding (and putting) things in the garden -it's so much more interesting that way!

Linda said...

The birds around my house like eaves and hanging pot plants! I also love colorful bird houses.

WoolenSails said...

The birds like my porch, nice cozy corners they can hide nests in. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Debbie

Jennifer Martin said...

You may come visit me! I just repainted our bird houses and we already have tree swallows scouting them. We are also in the middle of doing some major re-landscaping (year 3 of the likely 6 year process). We have some lovely pink peonies that are just blooming a lilac near the end of its bloom, lilies that should bloom in about a week and I'm preparing a new bed for about a dozen new daisy plants. The best part is I don't live all that far away - up Rt. 59 a few miles south of the WI border!