Monday, May 09, 2011

How to Turn Your Blue Chair into a Quilt


Blue Chip Chair
We are off to Spain to spread the word that no matter your language or cultural background, you too can be a fuser. But I shan't leave you languishing while I travel to exotic places. Instead here's a week long tutorial on How to Make a Blue Chip Chair quilt. (Take careful notes. There will be a test at the end. Hah!)
First get a blue chair. Find one with a beautiful plump shape in a rich blue color. Place a round table next to it and artfully arrange a plant on the table.

 
Ask the table and chair to hold still while you make a sketch. As you draw, make enclosed shapes. Remember, these shapes become fabric shapes. Now you need to enlarge the sketch to the size of the quilt you'd like to create. 

One way to do this is to scan the drawn image and save it as a jpeg. Or take a photo of the drawing and save it as a jpeg. Once your drawing is in a jpeg format, you have several ways to enlarge it. 
  • Print it on acetate and project the image using an overhead projector. 
  • Project the image using a digital projector. 
  • Or take it to a copy shop and have them enlarge it and print it onto paper.  

Projecting an image using old technology: an overhead projector. I now use a digital projector.
If you are projecting the image, enlarge the image to the size you want and trace it onto white paper. This is your Master Pattern. Whoo hooo! 

Please return tomorrow and I'll show you how to use that Master Pattern.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Thank you for showing us how you begin.
Have fun in Spain!

Gale, pursuing as much as I can as fast as I can! said...

Love the humor, as always. my chair would not cooperate & be still tho. Perhaps I'll try again - this time before the wine. ;)

Have ever so much fun (and success) in Spain!!

WoolenSails said...

Love your process of creating the chair quilt. I do have a projector, never saw the digital ones. I love being able to enlarge things with it.

Debbie

Sewconsult said...

I use to have a projector from childhood...early 60's I think. It had a fabric skirt to allow you to put things under and project upon the wall. Many a school project was done with that. I think that I need to invest in one a bit more up to date. Looking forward to each step.
Beckie