Friday, May 06, 2011

Where Does Lettuce Come From?

Every Spring I become enamored with lettuce. Must be that thirst for greenery that builds up on the cold winter months. Dreams of lush, juicy lettuce fill my lunch time fantasies.

Here we have a quilt in homage to lettuce called Lettuce 9 Patch. It's a sort of prayer to a pantheon of leafy vegetables.
The fabric making up this quilt is actually an interfacing called Craft Fuse. Craft Fuse by Pellon is a non-woven fabric with fusible on the back. The non-glue side of the Craft Fuse is painted with water based textile paint. After the Craft Fuse dries, shapes are cut out and fused (remember it has glue on the back) into place.

In hindsight, it would have been easier just to buy bunches of lettuce and iron them onto fabric.

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

I just want to thank you - I won a copy of your book thanks to Linda at Dragon Threads.....I AM THRILLED!

WoolenSails said...

I love lettuce and vegetables in the summer, nothing like fresh from the garden.

Debbie

Linda said...

This is so colorful and graphic! I love it!

goecker said...

Love the lettuce also and your quilts - didn't see Outrageous Lettuce on the 9 Patch - I bought 8 plants this week at the Farmers' Market just because the rich red color caught my eye..