Friday, June 03, 2011

Digital Sketchbook: What Do You See?



Isn't this pot of brushes wonderful! During a recent visit to a San Diego quilt guild, my lovely hostess took me to a local artist's collective. We visited a variety of open studios including this one of a ceramicist. Here you see his brushes artfully arranged for visiting tourist to photograph.


Using the Art Studio app on my Ipad, I doodled and painted over the image. It was great fun. But somehow I like the original image better.

Finding inspiration is not always easy. Being mindful of the beauty that surrounds you and keeping your eyes open is a skill most artists train themselves to do.

I have to remind myself of this all the time. (And it's getting really annoying!)

5 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I never thought of painting over a photo, I usually use filters. Good idea and a nice way to make it simpler for quilting.

Debbie

Linda said...

I've never heard of that app, but then again, my husband is the one with the iPhone instead of me.
I agree that keeping your eyes open is so very important. There can be beauty in the most mundane. The brushes in the pots are a wonderful subject!!

Lisa said...

Beautiful photos! This is a "duh, why didn't I think of that" moment for me. I have a number of lovely ceramic pots my children made during their high school stints in pottery class and now I know how to use them! Thanks!

cindy said...

Without an IPhone pad dock or how to use one I'd be lost. Keeping my eyes open doesn't always teach an old dog to do a new trick. It looks like fun and you have a great picture to show for it.

cozy said...

love the colors you painted in your photo :)