Wednesday, June 01, 2011

How Old Am I


It became apparent to me recently, while visiting Spain, that I may be older than I think.

Here is a treadle sewing machine found on the patio of our hotel that is very similar to my first machine. As a 9 year old, our Singer machine taught me how to sew, how to manage thread tension, and how to maintain and repair a sewing machine.

Sadly, the machine had no handbook or computer as a guide. Heck, it didn't even require electricity! But I did have the best toned ankles in the neighborhood.

5 comments:

WoolenSails said...

My mom had an old one, but it was electric, lol.
I was never into sewing and crafts like I am now, so declined taking my grandmothers sewing machines and hooking equipment, wish I had now.

Debbie

Lisa said...

Haha! You are only as old as you think you are. :D My cousin had one of these in her home but no ever used it. I wish I had it now!

TheaM said...

we must be about the same age... I learned on a treadle very similar to that one - circa 1890's...
never had a manual, the wood veneer was warped and bubbled, and there were a few rusty spots, but it sewed and kept my 'low impact aerobics' going strong!

Sewconsult said...

My grandmother had one that I "played on". I learned on my mother's first sewing machine:circa 1943. We just sold it last year when we sold most of her household goods. I think that she was disappointed that I didn't want it. I did, but my room runneth over!
I have my hubby's grandmother's treadle. I also have a 1887 Wilcox treadle from a retirement home where my brother was the administrator. It is such a unique machine!
Beckie

proloco said...

kisses from Italy...
http://prolocosangineto.blogspot.com/