Tuesday, June 28, 2011

How to Tuesday: How to Get a Grip on Your Art

T-Bird (before stitching)
When you make a composition  with your gorgeous fused fabrics keep this in mind: you need a variety of sizes of elements in your composition. Variety of size holds the viewers attention and keeps them looking at your masterpiece or in this case, a new quilt in process called T-Bird.
You can easily manipulate large fabric elements in your design. But those itty bitty pieces will drive you nuts. (Oh, so that explains it!)

Why not use a pair of tweezers to place little fabric pieces? These tweezers with the L shaped tip are perfect. Here the small fabric pieces are arranged as a flower unit on silicone release paper and fuse-tacked into place.
After the fabric cools, slide the tweezers under the flower unit and gently remove it from the paper. Now you can easily place it on the quilt top.
Tweezers are also a really handy tool for rearranging elements into different positions on the quilt top.  Here you see I am about to audition the placement of my bird.

Tweezers: they're not for plucking anymore!

5 comments:

Maggie Szafranski said...

Laura, are you going to make a pattern for this one? I would love to make it! In honor of my 2003 TBird!

Linda said...

Thank you for the tip! I need a pair of tweezers like those you have! I'm guessing those are "medical" tweezers?

Laura Wasilowski said...

Yes, I'm in the process of making a set of little bird patterns and T-Bird is one of the set. I'll let you know when it's ready. Wish I had a real Tbird like you Maggie!

WoolenSails said...

I am getting better at peeling the paper off my my nails, had to let them grow, lol. That is a good lesson to remember when designing.

Debbie

Shawn said...

Great idea- thanks- I just love your quilts!