Tuesday, June 21, 2011

How to Tuesday: Serve Up a Little Color


Here we are trapped in our basement dye studio. And it's time to get a little color in our life. Here's how to dye the fabric.
  • Mix Procion MX dye powder with hot water to make dye stock. Wear a dust mask and stylish rubber gloves for protection. Store the dyed stock in cute bottles.
  • Pre-soak the fabric in soda ash water.
  • Squish out the fabric.
  • Arrange it artfully on a plastic platter or container.
  • Pour the dye colors onto the fabric.
  • Smoosh the color into the fabric using stylish yellow gloves on your hands.
  • Go have a good meal, complain about the weather, and sleep for 8 hours.
  • Wash out the fabric in your washer in 2 -3 wash cycles (really hot water for the last washing) to eliminate the left-over dye.
  • Dry the fabric, iron it, and love the color!
A very informative book you should get.
If you'd like more detail on how to dye fabric I suggest a good book like Fabric to Dye For  by Frieda Anderson. If you don't want to dye the darn fabric and just want to love the color, check out Artfabrik!

11 comments:

Gale, pursuing as much as I can as fast as I can! said...

YUM!!!!!!!!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Too much fun!

WoolenSails said...

I would like to make a space for dying in my basement, too messy to use the stove and with a small kitchen, I can cook or dye, but not both;)

Debbie

Lisa said...

I need to make time to dye! Beautiful colors. I love Frieda's book. Such great information.

LOLA said...

Wonderful wonderful COLOR!! I haven't dyed in a long time for the same reasons everyone else is saying...it makes a mess of your kitchen. BUt your idea with plastic "plates" and doing it in the basement (I would choose outdoors on the patio today) - is GREAT. Thank you. I shall now go rummage in the garage for all my procion dyes that have patiently waited for me to find them again, thanks to you!
LOLA

Lynne said...

Since buying your book 'Colorful Quilts' about a month ago my summerhouse in the garden has turned into a dye studio. I'm having great fun experimenting and building up lots of colours to make little house quilts with.

cdc said...

I'm just about to start dyeing fabric and it's all because of you Laura! I just ordered Frieda's book so I'm excited to see how she does it.

Photographer-Anairda said...

Very nice ideas. What book would you recomend for a novice in this art?

upstateLisa said...

Laura, these colors look so wonderful! I have my supplies, just need some time to set up the dyeing day! What size trays do you have? just curious.

Laura Wasilowski said...

Hi Lisa,
I'm using trays from a restaurant supply store (can't remember when or where) that measure about 14 x 18.
Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog!
Laura

Bunny Henningsen said...

Laura, I love the whole section on dyeing. One question. What is a good fabric base for dyeing? I have seen lots of different answers and some contradict each other.
Thanks.