Saturday, June 25, 2011

In Need of Inspiration?

Now that I live in the modern age I take photos with a thing called a "digital camera". That means I take lots of pictures and store them on a thing called a "computer". (You may be familiar with these technological wonders, but trust me, they are still a mystery to me!)
Having accumulated many many photos I occasionally look through them. And what happens?
I get inspired to make art! Here we have a stunning example of tile work on the floor of Bristol Cathedral. Those stone masons may have had sore knees and bad backs but they were experts at building pattern out of stone.
And what about this delightful setting at an artisan co-op in California? (Note the brick under the table leg. Apparently they did not have stone masons to help with their tiles.)
Here's a detail of a beautiful sculpture (sorry, I can't remember the artist's name). Now this person knows how to lay tile!

The point is: Any of these images can inspire you to make art and you don't have to be a brick layer to do it. So take a look through your old photos. I bet there is an image that triggers a quilt design for you!

4 comments:

Linda said...

Thanks for a great suggestion. Its funny, I found myself eyeing the unusual brick pattern at the front of our auditorium at church on Sunday. I even sketched it off quickly on the corner of a bulletin!

WoolenSails said...

I love those patio blocks, gorgeous work, would love to have a patio like that.

Debbie

Pam said...

Great idea--thanks for the tip, Laura!

Blackfimz said...

Thanks for a great suggestion. Its funny, I found myself eyeing the unusual brick pattern at the front of our auditorium at church on Sunday. I even sketched it off quickly on the corner of a bulletin!