Thursday, June 16, 2011

When You Are Fried by Lightening

Illinois Trees #9
About 2 weeks ago giant thunderstorms roared through our area. And like a blaring sign from heaven, a huge lightening bolt struck our 100 year old Norway pine. The tree lives within 2 feet of the house and now has a long jagged scar.
Illinois Tree #6
Standing in the house, near a window facing the tree, my personal electrical system experienced quite a jolt too. But the jolt to the house electrical system (through the gutters) was a little more severe. The lightening took out several appliances, computers, TV's, and the air conditioning unit. They were fried!
Illinois Tree #3
Seeing this huge old tree being hurt reminds me of how much I love a handsome tree. This series of Illinois Trees was found in my archives safe from harm.
Illinois Tree #7
After a week of repair people trotting through the house and several trips to the computer store, we are almost back in business. The biggest problem now is that every time I hear a loud noise I panic like a squirrel in cross traffic. Guess my electrical system is fried too.

11 comments:

Trish Williams said...

Laura,
Sorry to hear about your wows, but glad to know that you and your "handsome trees" are doing well. Stay safe and creative.

Gale, pursuing as much as I can as fast as I can! said...

Oh Laura - I TRULY feel your pain! Had lightning hit one of the pipes in my house. What a mess. Glad to hear you are well on the way to restored!!! Did your hair curl???? :-)

Nancy said...

Yikes!! What an experience. Glad things are getting back to "normal"... whatever that is! Yeah... I could see why you'd be a little jumpy.

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

Wow, sorry about your lightening trauma! Glad to hear that things are getting back to normal, and hopefully the nerves will settle soon :)

ellen gets crafty said...

How scary! Your Illinois tree quilts are wonderful.

Carol said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry. I'm a fanatic about closing down and unplugging computers and my sewing machine during a thunderstorm, provided I'm at home. But who would have thought that it could fry your air conditioner!! Wow! In spite of this your optimism still shines through.

WoolenSails said...

I am sorry about your storm damage, that must have been scary. Glad you are ok though, that is what counts.

Debbie

Candied Fabrics said...

Yikes! Although it surely must be a pain do deal with all. Therepairs, glad YOU are ok!

Madalene Murphy said...

Glad things are up and running again. We lost half a very old maple at the front of our drive about a year ago in a storm and it was very sad to see it so damaged. But it sounds as if you could add another chapter to your "I Quilt, Therefore I Am" talk with this story and those Illinois tree quilts.

Pat said...

I had lightening hit my very tall chimney years ago and like you it fried all things electrical including my stove. The damage was never ending. The chimney parts very blown a block away. You are fortunate the tree did not come down. I love the tree quilts. Hummm, maybe that is what I will make.

Greenmare said...

did the tree survive???? We lost so much of our huge old pine this winter with the blizzards and ice that we had to have someone come and take the rest of it down. sigh.