Friday, August 12, 2011

Filming for The Quilt Show: A Very Brief Rehearsal

It's 10:42 am and I am filming for The Quilt Show in Boulder, Colorado. Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims, the hosts for the show, are about to interview me when I realize a very important fact: I am at 5,000 feet above sea level and I can't breath. I am a low land girl in a high land world.
10:55 am. Soon the camera crews are in place and Ricky now has Rabbit ears. Will this nightmare never cease!
11:05 am. We lay out all the step-by-step demos on the table and talk about the sequence of the presentation. Luckily the items I packed a week ago are all there, although I can't remember why I packed them. Then it dawns on me: I'm going to demo the 10 Commandments of Hand Stitching a Fused Art Quilt. Yes!
11:06 am. A tiny microphone is attached to my shirt. They assure me that they only turn on the mic when I'm actually being filmed so that trip to the restroom won't be recorded.
11:11 am.We are ready to roll. Notice how at ease I am as Alex and I make fun of Ricky behind his back. But once the lights are on, I become a deer in the head lights! How can they be so calm?

Please return tomorrow and I'll show more photos of the shoot.

7 comments:

Jackie said...

So glad that your trip to the rest room was kept private. I am guessing at some point the bunny ears ended up on your head?

Gene Black said...

Ha ha... I think that I would be okay, because I am when I do my youtube instructional videos. But I would probably be "deer in the headlights" too.

Linda said...

Ha! Our preacher went into the restroom once without turning off his mic. (That was back when it wasn't done by the man in the booth and he was supposed to flip a switch on his little clipped on mic.) I can tell you, it made an impression on me! So glad you didn't have that happen.
I was interviewed on the radio last year and to this day I have no idea what I said. I didn't even remember what I a minute after I said it. My brain just froze up. I'm sure you did a great job!

WoolenSails said...

Love reading about your filming adventures and what goes on behind the scenes.

Debbie

Jane Moxey said...

I would have hoped you would have nerves of steel after all that marathon of shooting we did for your C & T DVD!!! Mind you, you were the STAR of your own show on that deal, right? That's a lot of personalities going on over thar in that thar Colorado. I hated the altitude when I was in La Veta there shooting Judith Baker Montano's DVD. Odd feeling. Shortness of breath -- and stature! Entirely too much shortness! Talking about myself, you understand! Luv, J

Sewconsult said...

Excited to see YOUR show. I don't believe that you were nervous at all.
Beckie in Brentwood, TN

cindy said...

The trick of turning on the mic while someone is in the bathroom has been done before, this was way to funny. It looks like you were having a great time and not nervous at all, I'd be a bundle. This is exciting.