|Bird and Dragonfly sans stitching.|
So as I sit here and look at my quilt, like you I'm wondering where do I begin? It's too scary! Have I lost my Stitching Mojo?
In a stoke of genius, I refer to my own book, Fanciful Stitches, Colorful Quilts. (Cause to be honest, my brain is like a sieve. Only the gritty stuff is left.) There's a chapter called: Couching Thread, Hidden Needle, a refresher course in hand stitching a fused art quilt.
|Bird and Dragonfly with stitching. Much better.|
- First determine what the focal point is and start there.
- Choose thread colors and sizes that will outline the subject, add accents, help define the shape, add texture, add pattern.
- Pick out the right needle for the thread.
- Refer to the diagrams in the book for how to make certain stitches.
- Look at photos in the book of the different stitches to see how I used them on the quilt.