Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Soft Person in a Hard World: Day 1

Art jewelry by Thomas Mann
Last week I took a jewelry class from art jeweler, Thomas Mann, whose work I've long admired. Leaping at the opportunity to take a workshop with him at The Fine Line, was ......a big leap! To go from the soft world of fabric to the clanging world of metal is a little jarring.But also very satisfying.

I've never really made jewelry. And being of the non-jewelry wearing tribe, you ask why take the class?
Pin made by my friend Debbie. Isn't she talented!
First it was a way to spend time with my friend, Debbie. She knows how to make jewelry and has great taste. But as the days wore on other benefits of taking a class outside of my field became clear. Here's what I discovered:
  • By taking a class outside of your field, you expand your knowledge of how other art forms are made.
  • You learn to appreciate the ingenuity of artists working with different materials.
  • You gain a better understanding of why and how you make your own art. 
  • And, as a teacher, you learn what it is like to be on the other side, to be a student. It was fun!

In the next few days I'll show you what I made out of a material completely alien to this fiber artist. Here you see me as I prepared to leave for class. Don't I look happy!

5 comments:

Linda said...

I agree completely! I can't wait to see your work. My sister teaches high school art and is a constant inspiration to step out of my comfort zone and try new things. (Sometimes I even do it!)

WoolenSails said...

Taking a class in something new and different is a great way to expand our thinking, can't wait to see what you make.

Debbie

YankeeQuilter said...

I think stretching our boundaries always helps us when we return to our safe places...heck when I took your class I had quilted for 20 years but never fused before!

Sherrie Spangler said...

I have a Thomas Mann story! When I was a young cub reporter at the Pocono Record, I was given a ring with a sun design made by a young local artist named Thomas Mann. Decades later I started seeing articles about a famous Thomas Mann and realized it was the same person. So now I feel rich!

Michigoose said...

Taking a class inside your field but outside your area of interest or rather expertise or viewpoint is just as liberating....I'm taking an online class with Pamela Allen and let me tell you...the brain cells are working overtime. :) Have fun.