Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Is Your Art Making Like a Roller Coaster Ride?

Little Bird sculpture, 4"h  x 4"w  x 2"d
Here's my final project from my jewelry class with Thomas Mann. With a little wire, my door hardware and small wrenches now act as an easel for the bird. The result is sort of like making a small bird sculpture out of a sow's ear.
Improvising with fused scraps to make 2 quilts at a time.
While making this small sculpture, I experienced something very familiar. Making a metal sculpture is reminiscent of using fused fabric scraps to create a collaged art quilt. Like metal found objects, the oddly shaped fused scraps are easy to manipulate and trigger ideas.

This act of improvising feels sort of risky and daring like riding a roller coaster. Some find a roller coaster a thrill ride. But to me, collage building is the real thrill! Do you every improvise when making art? Are you a daredevil too?

3 comments:

Gene Black said...

I have always improvised in art making. I was even a member of Experimental Artists of Alabama when it was still in existence.

WoolenSails said...

I love to improvise, it is fun and you never know what you will come up with. I think your sculpture is wonderful.

Debbie

Gloria Luz said...

Laura,

seu trabalho é maravilhoso e muito criativo. Gosto do bordado complementando seus trabalhos. Adquiri seu novo livro e fiquei encantada.

Um grande abraço.